The Venetian terrazzo floor or “battuto” is so called because it achieved its maximum development and splendour in the city. Its roots lie deep in history, in ancient Greece, where floors made from stream stones were arranged and mixed with lime or clay.
Much of the merit goes also, and above all, to the craftsmen of Friuli for the rediscovery and reevaluation of the ornamental floor, since it is thanks to them that the terrazzo floor developed. They made this floor, that thay called battuto, using pebbles of varius colors collected from the beds of the rivers Meduna, Tagliamento and Cellina.
The Friuli terrazzo makers, attracted by the trade activities and building developments in Venice, took their trade to that city where it enjoyed strong expansion and had already become a part of art associations by 1586.
© Photos and text on this page are from the book “The venetian terrazzo” By A. Crovato and are copyrighted by Grafì Comunicazione/Grafì Edizioni.